NEW YORK -- Various Giants, most notably Matt Cain, have done what they can to turn David Wright's misfortune into an opportunity for fellowship.
While doing his between-starts running on Monday, Cain encountered Wright, whom he beaned with a pitch on Saturday, putting the Mets third baseman on the 15-day disabled list. Wright, who conducted a news conference at Citi Field, accepted Cain's regret over the situation, with both parties aware that the pitch was thrown with no malice intended.
"He said, 'I understand it was an accident,'" Cain said.
Catcher Bengie Molina and manager Bruce Bochy also left cell-phone messages for Wright. Bochy became acquainted with Wright while managing a team of Major League stars that toured Japan after the 2006 season.
Wright said to reporters earlier on Monday that he didn't think Cain's pitch was intentional in any way. Wright also was adamant in stating that he plans on returning to the lineup as soon as he is eligible on Aug. 31.
"I'm sure that I'll be able to play again this year," Wright said.
"This game's competitive, but you hate to see anybody get hit in the head," Bochy said. "We all had concern for him, and we're glad to hear he's doing OK."
Chris Haft is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.