Rain forces doubleheader between Giants, Mets

Rain forces doubleheader between Giants, Mets

Rain forces doubleheader between Giants, Mets
NEW YORK -- The Giants and Mets saw their game washed out by persistent rain on Sunday, a postponement that set up a straight doubleheader for Monday. San Francisco will stay on turn, sending Tim Lincecum to the mound in the 1:10 PT game and Madison Bumgarner in Game 2.

Manager Bruce Bochy didn't hear that the game had been rained out until midway through his daily news conference with the media, and he said that his team was ready for any eventuality.

"Sure, we'd like to get the game in. Anything to avoid a doubleheader," he said. "I don't know what the weather's going to be like tomorrow. I've heard it's going to be better, but if you can't get two in tomorrow, you're talking about coming in here on a day off. I don't think either team wants to do that."

New York elected to juggle its pitching staff for Monday, skipping Johan Santana's start. Reliever Miguel Batista will be matched against Lincecum, and Dillon Gee will face off against Bumgarner. The Giants considered using Lincecum in the second game, but instead decided to stay on turn.

"I think he's eager to get out there," said Bochy. "But if it's another day, I don't think that's going to make a big difference. I think if he had his way, he'd prefer a night game. He likes night games."

Lincecum has struggled in his first three starts -- notching an 0-2 record and a 10.54 ERA -- but the right-hander said Sunday that you almost have to expect the odd rainout in April.

"It's just the way it goes," he said. "You deal with this stuff over here, especially at this time of year. We dealt with it in Washington a couple years ago, and it felt like the batting cage was flooded with two feet of water. You get pushed back and you just try to stay focused and try not to get out of your plan."

The bright side -- for Lincecum and for his teammates -- was that the decision to postpone the game was made early. The Mets decided that the game would be rained out an hour before the scheduled first pitch, which meant that Lincecum and company could relax for the day and prepare for Monday.

"When we were in DC, we had to wait around until 11 until they finally decided to bag the game," he said, remembering the same ill-fated road trip. "Well, at least they bagged it earlier [today]. That's nice. We'll get a little free time, but that just means going back and hanging out at the hotel."

Spencer Fordin is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.