SAN FRANCISCO -- With Jonathan Sanchez set to return to the rotation Friday, left-hander Barry Zito was placed back on the disabled list Monday.
Giants manager Bruce Bochy and several Giants executives met with Zito about an hour before Monday night's game against the D-backs to discuss his role going forward. Bochy acknowledged in his afternoon media briefing that a move would be made with Zito, but he declined to share more specific details until after meeting with Zito. Following Monday's 5-2 loss to the D-backs, Zito said he injured a ligament while fouling a ball off his ankle during his only at-bat Sunday.
The left-hander, who has already spent more than two months on the disabled list this season, said he felt it when he went to push off on the next pitch. Obviously, Zito felt well enough to pitch through the injury, but he said it flared up more when he was running as well.
Zito said he has no plans as far as rehab, and he doesn't expect to progress until he feels comfortable running. The injury is a recurrence of the right foot sprain that put him on the disabled list earlier this season.
"It's not as serious, but this ligament thing, it's pretty sensitive, so you've got to be precautionary with it," Zito said. "It's very disappointing. I was enjoying being out there, coming off two months of rehab. Just keep going, keep working."
Zito put together three impressive starts after returning from the disabled list June 28, but he has struggled since then. The left-hander had one turn in the rotation skipped and allowed 19 runs in 15 2/3 innings over three starts, walking eight batters.
"He understands Sanchez needs to come off the disabled list," Bochy said before talking to Zito. "Barry is struggling right now with his stuff, too. It's the right thing to do."
Sanchez, who was officially activated Monday, will get the start Friday in AT&T Park against the Phillies. In a rehab start with Triple-A Fresno on Wednesday, the lefty allowed two earned runs on seven hits and three walks while striking out five.