DeRosa optimistic after first rehab games

DeRosa optimistic after first rehab games

SAN FRANCISCO -- There were times, Mark DeRosa said Monday, when he thought his latest wrist injury would end his career. That's part of the reason why his first rehab games with Class A Advanced San Jose were so encouraging to the 36-year-old utility man.

DeRosa went 2-for-5 with a double in two five-inning appearances for the San Jose Giants, playing third base in Saturday's game and second on Sunday, and he will move on to play with Triple-A Fresno starting Tuesday. DeRosa smiled as he said he was "pleasantly surprised" with how he felt, and with a postive mindset aided by his outings this weekend, he could speak optimistically about his future.

"I'm not thinking about it. That was the biggest thing for me -- not worrying about it and going in there and just concentrating on finding timing, finding a rhythm, getting back out there, playing and knowing that I don't have some frayed tendon in my wrist ready to go," DeRosa said. "I think it was a little bit more of a relief this time to get out there. And just the way I felt, to be honest with you. I haven't had an at-bat in a long time. I didn't feel that bad."

However, DeRosa is still cautious about his recovery from a left wrist strain, having had two surgeries on it since October 2009. He didn't know about the timeframe for his potential return, though the initial goal was Aug. 1. And he isn't going to get carried away about how good he feels quite yet, taking his time and listening to the training staff instead of rushing back to action.

"I think I've got to be honest with myself," DeRosa said. "I wanted to come back so bad last time, and I ended up not playing well and doing more damage. I think if I'm going to give this thing a legitimate shot and try to come help this team, I think I've got to listen to them, whenever that may be. If it was up to me, I'd be activated today, but I understand.

"There's opportunities for me to be out there. That being said, I haven't done anything meaningful for this organization in two years, so I've got some work to do," he continued. "I'm very motivated. There were moments where I thought I was done, so just to be able to go there for the last two days and see some positive was good."